Federal Defense Outreach Coordinator
Two-Year Temporary Position
Federal Defense Campaign
Union of Concerned Scientists
The Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS) is an independent national nonprofit whose scientists and engineers work to solve some of our planet’s most pressing environmental and safety problems. UCS combines technical analysis and effective organizing and advocacy to create innovative, practical solutions for stemming the tide of global warming, sustainable food policy and agriculture, energy and transportation, fighting misinformation and reducing the threat of catastrophic nuclear war.
Across the country, thousands of people regularly dedicate their time to defending the crucial role of science in public policy. UCS seeks a talented and passionate campaign organizer to join our Federal Defense Campaign and help us harness the collective people power of these volunteers to defeat legislative and administrative attacks on science-based policies and hold the Trump administration accountable for its actions. Whether working to stop the Senate confirmation of an anti-science ideologue at a federal agency, help prevent rollbacks of historic fuel efficiency standards, or to halt the Trump administration’s plans to build new nuclear weapons, as an Outreach Coordinator, you will help design and implement campaign plans to defeat the most egregious attacks on science. You will build our grassroots power by training, mobilizing, and growing the ranks of our most active members and supporters, including our network of scientists and experts, through web-based and other organizing tools. And you will work with a creative, dedicated, and multi-disciplinary team of campaign organizers, scientists, and advocates across all UCS programs.
- Develop and implement campaign outreach plans in key states to convince members of Congress to oppose attacks on science-based policies, and hold the Trump administration accountable for sidelining science
- Educate, train, and mobilize UCS members to take online and offline action on federal defense priorities
- Develop web content and other materials to support UCS members and activists in their advocacy and as engaged members of their communities, including brief issue explainers, action toolkits, and webinars
- Develop and cultivate relationships with scientists, experts, elected officials, environmental justice organizations, businesses, faith-based organizations, and others who have common cause in defeating attacks on science
- Support our federal advocacy efforts by following and helping our advocacy and media teams keep abreast of science policy developments on Capitol Hill
- Maintain basic competency in federal issue areas across UCS programs
- Represent UCS at public events, conferences, and with UCS members and supporters
Qualifications and experience
- Three to five years of comparable and relevant experience in outreach, grassroots organizing, and member recruitment (including online activism and social media)
- Ability to work independently, balance a multitude of tasks, and collaborate as a member of a multidisciplinary team
- Experience developing and implementing effective campaign strategies and tactics, organizing constituents, coordinating outreach events, and engaging supporters through online and offline activities is required
- Solid understanding of database maintenance, online organizing tools, online research, and Microsoft Office a must
- Demonstrated ability in writing action alerts (emails) and using web-based platforms and online tools to advance advocacy goals
- Strong written and communications skills required
- A bachelor’s degree is preferred
Compensation, Hours and Location: This is a full-time 2-year temporary position (with possible extension) based in UCS’s Washington, DC, office. For those who meet all position requirements, the salary is around $52,500 annualized. UCS offers excellent benefits and a rewarding work environment. Information about the organization is available at http://www.ucsusa.org. A listing of all open jobs is available at https://www.ucsusa.org/about/jobs-ucs.
To Apply: Please upload a cover letter, resume, salary requirements, and how you learned about the position. Upload materials in Word or PDF format only. No phone calls please.
Deadline: January 20, 2019, or until filled.